Be Prepared for your MD Visit
These questions will certainly stimulate clinicians to share their thinking with
you and provide education and engage in productive dialogue.
Key Questions for your Physician:
- What is my main problem?
- What do I need to do?
- Why is it important for me to do this?
- Can I share my thoughts and concerns about this treatment plan?
Your medical staff may ask you - please think about your response.
- What ideas do you have about what is contributing to your problem?
- What ideas do you have about treatment or things you can do to manage your condition?
- How important do you think it is to mange or treat your condition?
- What is most important for you to accomplish during your visit today?
- What would you like to know about your condition?
- What concerns you the most about your condition?
- What specifically would you like to work on to manage your condition?
- What would help you to manage your condition?
- How confident are you that you could do the planned treatment?
- What might get in the way or keep you from being successful?
Source: The Partnership for Clear Communication’s Ask Me 3 materials
and tools are quite useful and provide patients with some very useful cues
for engaging in a productive dialogue with patients. The Ask Me 3 questions
and other resources from the Partnership for Clear Communication are available
on the NHP website